Money Questions: What's The Biggest Money Mistake We've Made?


Daily Origami is a way for us to record our off the cuff thoughts, feelings and observations about the world around us. Published every weekday, Monday through Friday.


What is one of your biggest money-related mistakes that you’ve made?
What did you learn from it,
and what do you do differently now?


JENNIE:
 

I wasted a ton of money on fast fashion in my early 20’s.

Minimalist Clothing/Closet

In my teens and early 20’s, whenever I would feel down, stressed, or bored...I’d go to a nearby mall and just shop sales or cheap items. Granted, I still shop affordable items but it’s like 99% less than what I used to do.

When I moved out of my apartment in Boston to Los Angeles last year, I realized how much shit I had accumulated. And it was all worthless and had to be donated or thrown out.

It felt wasteful and I knew in that moment as I was cleaning out my studio apartment that I had wasted thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours in shopping - and all for what? For nothing. 

These days, my closet is actually a lot smaller than Ivan’s; I think I have less than 40 items of clothing to last me the entire year. I’m trying to be more thoughtful of what I actually need. For example, when I want a t-shirt, is it because I need a new t-shirt or because I’m just bored with my closet?

For me, it’s about need. Especially because once we go abroad next year, I can only bring what I can carry in a 40L backpack. I have to pare down more and more and only buy things that I will love or need. 


IVAN:

Shirts.

For the record, I have more clothing than Jennie not because I buy them, I just take hand-me-down T-shirts from my brother for free. That’s like 75% of my wardrobe. The other 25% is Jennie getting fed up and buying me stuff. No one will ever accuse me of having style - except on accident. 

I can’t think of any money-related mistakes. Most of it had to do with alcohol, though I don’t think it’s the money I regret - it’s the time wasted on people I didn’t really care for, after I’d known them for long enough to know better.